To pair with the Lego "NEXO KNIGHTS" shield that I made for my son, I also designed and built a sword. These instructions can be adapted to make all sorts of designs.
- cardboard: flat pieces, scraps, 1" tube
- scissors, exacto knife
- white glue
- glue gun and sticks
- grey/silver duct tape
- colored duct tape
- ruler, pencil
1. For the blade and tang (section that goes inside the handle/hilt), mark and cut out four pieces of cardboard that are 16" in total length, 3" wide for 10" of length (blade) and 1" wide for 6" of length (tang). Mark the center at the end of the blade and 1.5" down each side, connect to form two triangles, and cut away the triangles to form a tip on the blade.
3. Wrap all the sides and edges of the blade and a bit of the tang with grey duct tape.
4. Cut the 1" tube to 6" long. Trim a bit of the edge off the tang so that the tube will slide over it.
5. For the cross-guard, cut three pieces of cardboard 2" wide by 5" long and trim away a 1" by 1/2" triangle from all four corners. Cut a hole in the center that is just big enough for the tang to fit through (approximately 1" x 1/2"). Check to make sure the tang fits through.
Glue the three pieces together. Cover in grey duct tape.
Slide the cross-guard onto the tang and glue in place.
6. Cut 2 pieces of cardboard approximately 1/2" wide and 5.5" long. Glue one to each side of the tang. Let dry.
7. Cover the 1" tube with colored duct tape. Put glue on all sides of the tang and slide the tube over top. Let dry.