Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Shoebox Full of Trading Cards

It's not an unusual sight; shoeboxes full of trading cards are common in basements, closets, attics, and garages across North America. My house is no different, I have several shoeboxes full of hockey cards, but I also have one very special shoebox.


This box is going to bring smiles to the faces of kids. This box is full of carefully repackaged cards that I'm going to give to a local children's hospital or charity. I was inspired by Cards 2 Kids, an organization started by a teenager to give sports cards to sick kids. I knew that between my own collection and the cards I had acquired at garage sales, that I could do something similar myself. I got a bunch of zipper bags at a dollar store and sorted through my cards, making up packages that contained an even mix of modern and retro cards, rookies and stars, current and former Edmonton Oilers, and, of course, lots of Upper Deck cards (because they're my favorite). I also packaged up some of the non-sports trading cards that I had.

My next step is to contact some local hospitals and charities to arrange for the distribution of the cards. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment